Our speech-language pathology assistant (SLPA) program provides training in professional ethics, scope of practice, and clinical methods and intervention. This program follows ASHA guidelines and State of Arizona requirements. Two SLPA courses are offered during the summer session (typically May-July). The third required course, Speech Sound Disorders, is offered during the fall semester at UA. We also provide opportunities to obtain a portion of the minimum required 100 hours in clinical fieldwork as prescribed by ASHA and the state. Clinical work can extend through the summer to the end of the fall semester.
Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Program REQUIRED coursework
Summer courses and clinical training:
- SLHS 480: Professional Issues, Ethics and Documentation, 1 unit on-line course reviewing issues and ethics as well as appropriate documentation techniques.
- SLHS 479: Clinical Methods, a 3 unit course on implementation of clinical methods and intervention approaches for communication disorders (assisting the SLP).
- Clinical fieldwork, a 6 unit hands-on experience that provides a supervised fieldwork experience assisting with clinical management of persons with communication disorders. Hours obtained will be between 40-100 in the child and adult speech-language clinics at the Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences.
- SLHS 471: a 3 unit course on Speech Sound Disorders (or approved alternative).
Completion of all 3 courses (SLHS 480, 479, 471) and 100 clinical fieldwork is required to receive your necessary signed paperwork.
A completed paper application is due April 7, 2017. We will consider late applications with special circumstances. Applicants to the program require an overall GPA of 2.8 or higher. Students should have completed (or plan to complete) SLHS 477 Communication Disorders 1 and SLHS 473 Communication Disorders 2.
Those interested in applying must supply the following:
- SLPA Program Application form
- a copy of an official transcript from all Universities/Colleges attended
- a letter of intent
- two letters of recommendation
- Signed observation form documenting 25 hours of observation
Please turn in all completed application packets to Denise Minopoli, room 228 SPH (email@example.com).